- Menotti's Coffee Stop has opened at 52 Windward Ave. with barista Christopher "Nicely" Abel Alameda at the helm. Stop in for a splendid cup from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. daily.
- The Mar Vista Neighborhood Council will vote on a motion Tuesday night to support turning Santa Monica Airport into a park. The motion was unanimously passed in committee and asks that if the airport "is closed in totality" that the council body urge the City of Santa Monica, the City of Los Angeles, the County of Los Angeles, California state, and federal legislatures, agencies and administrations work toward that accomplishment. The meeting begins at 7 p.m. at the Mar Vista Recreation Center Auditorium, 11430 Woodbine St.
- The Venice Symphony Orchestra will perform at Bergamot Station Saturday. Details here.
- The following Saturday, Oct. 19, the Mar Vista Branch Library book sale will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 12006 Venice Boulevard.
- Make sure you're "Patched In" to get alerts on breaking news as it happens in town this week (and after), make sure you are signed up to get our emails. Click on the 'get the daily newsletter' at the top, right corner of this page. (If you see something that says, "hi, username," then you're already registered. In that case, click on "email settings" under the drop-down tab under your name.)