- A frightful experience awaits those who partake of the Eternal Rest Cemetery Halloween Experience, a Venice Haunted House. This free haunted attraction is open Thursday and Saturday beginning at 7 p.m. and lasting until around midnight. This super scary haunt has a resting place just for you, and a 2013 edition Eternal Rest T-shirt available for purchase. The attraction at 414 Rose Ave. is not recommended for youngsters under the age of 13.
- A traditional Dia de los Muertos, aka Day of the Dead, is set for Thursday from 5:30-8:30 p.m. at 685 Venice Blvd., where the the Social and Public Art Resource Center is located. Led by SPARC artist in residence and UCLA professor Martha Ramirez-Oropeza, the public is invited to bring a personal memento or photo of a loved one to place on the altar. A traditional calling of the spirits will take place at 6 p.m. and the Ballet Folklorico del Centro Cultural de Mexico will perform. There will be a cash bar and food available for purchase.
- Venice Arts' 20th Anniversary Spectacular is set for Saturday from 5-8 p.m. The event celebrates the organization's 20 years of service to the community as a "leading, youth arts organization whose Art Mentoring & Education and Documentary Programs nourish the creativity, develop the knowledge and skills, and uplift the voices of thousands of low-income youth," according to its website. Community Angels Susan Rennie and Paula Lumbard will also be honored at the event. Tickets to attend the event, which will be held at the Venice Arts' Center for Media and Learning, 1702 Lincoln Blvd., cost $175 each. Visit the website to view art available for bidding and to place a bid.
- The 5th annual Taste of Venice (formerly the Taste of Abbot Kinney) takes place Sunday to support the Venice nonprofit Inside Out Community Arts. The afternoon event, which includes a restaurant walking/tasting tour, highlights Venice’s culinary talent. Other highlights include music, cooking demonstrations by Venice chefs and special presentations by hosts Adam Gertler from The Food Network and Jet Tila from Iron Chef America during the VIP reception from 3-4:30 p.m. The tasting tour ($65 per ticket) follows from 4:30-6:30 p.m. Tasting tour and VIP reception tickets go for $110 each. Tickets can be purchased online.
- A change.org petition asking a medical marijuana business owner not to continue with his plans to move his business to 3472 S. Centinela Blvd. is online. The petition and comments are here.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.Write a new post...What do you want to share?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something