The Top 10 stories in Venice Patch for 2011 includes the addition of Google to the neighborhood alongsiide gang sting operations and shootings. Venice is anything but dull. Here's a look at our Top 10 for 2011.
1. Google. Need we say more? The Internet giant's decision to and subsequent and all made the Top 10 list. These stories combined were the most popular on Venice Patch in 2011.
2. The that left two dead and one wounded in June hit home for many. The shooting occurred in broad daylight alongside a girl's softball game.
And when 19-year-old Michael Anthony Mariscal was of the fatal shooting, people wanted to know.
3. Everyone was watching the tragedies unfold after Japan's horrific tsunami disaster, and people listened when the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration issued the north of Point Conception.
4. Remember when LAPD closed off a good portion of Venice on Labor Day afternoon as helicopters flew the air and K-9 units were brought in? Many police were tight-lipped on the day, but former Venice Patch editor Samantha Page was on the scene to get the on the pursuit of the local gang member reportedly breaking into homes.
5. Child molestation charges are serious and definitely got the Venice community talking when they heard a with child molesation in their neighborhood.
6. A four-month-long sting operation led to the arrests of by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives right here in Venice and Patch covered the story.
7. So many people anticipated the of Wurstkuche in Venice, the sausage, beer and belgian fries kitchen, that it made the Top 10 list.
8. The founder of Venice311.com, a popular website and Twitter feed dedicated to reporting on Venice police scanner activity, made headlines when a Superior Court judge granted her a against former Venice crime activist, Boston Dawna.
9. When is Lindsay Lohan not making headlines? The troubled actress sure was a popular story among Venice Patch readers after she publicly made Venice her home, then was charged with theft of a necklace from a local jeweler. Updates of her sentencing and were regularly posted on Patch.
10. April Fools!!!! One Patch contributor might have played the biggest April Fool's joke on Venetians with his this year: Venice Granted Independence from City of Los Angeles.