Valentine's Day cookies are like edible greeting cards. They can express your message of affection while satisfying your sweetie’s sweet tooth—and let’s face it, cookies are one of life’s simple pleasures that are easily given for a number of holidays. Valentine’s Day is the perfect day to confess your love atop one or two or three of them.
For those hopeless romantics who are both artistic and know their way around a kitchen, homemade Valentine cookies are sure to warm your darling’s heart. There are endless ways to express your affection in frosting and share what is in your heart. The recipe below for rolled sugar cookies will get you started; decorating the final product is up to you.
This Valentine’s Day, let cookies send your message of love to the people in your life.
Rolled Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream shortening and sugar together.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat after each addition.
- Blend in cream or milk.
- Sift flour, baking power and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Mix well.
- Add vanilla.
- Chill for 20 minutes.
- Roll out thin and cut the shapes with cookie cutters.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until edges are brown.
Have a sweet V-day recipe of your own? Add it to the comments section below.