The 36th annual Santa Monica-Venice Christmas Run 5k and 10k runs will wind their way through Venice and Santa Monica, including a stretch of the Venice Boardwalk Saturday. This year's race events are sold out.
Street closures for the race are as follows:
- 6–11 a.m.: Pacific Avenue between Navy Street and S. Venice Boulevard (with some openings at selected times, see below)
- 6–10 a.m.: S. Venice Boulevard between Pacific Avenue and Lincoln Boulevard
- 6-10 a.m.: Abbot Kinney Boulevard between S. Venice and Washington boulevards.
The event, which got its start in 1977, is a popular event with many racers running in costume. Judging takes place at 10 a.m. Awards are given in the following categories:
- "Christmas Spirit Award" for Best Christmas Themed Costume
- "Santa's Little Helpers Award" for Best Dressed Group of 5 people or more
- "Most Original Award" for the Most Original Costume
An event expo is held from 7-11 a.m. at the finish line in Santa Monica.