On March 5, I'm voting for Steve Zimmer because he fights for equal access for ALL students (and truly knows what that means), demands a level playing field for charters and community schools, and helps innovate curriculum.
While so-called reformers claim no progress is possible until unions are shut down and school governance is turned on its head, Steve just gets the work done.
This election is getting national attention because his opponent has backing from big money supporters who want to corporatize our school system. As a mom, would I sometimes like to scrap the whole system and start over? Heck yeah! But Steve has accomplished so much without that kind of drama.
Just recently, his victories for our kids include:
* achieving what the LA Times called a "landmark agreement" on teacher evaluations
* expanding school gardens and permitting students to earn money by selling their crops
* improving nutrition policies to give students more time to sit down and eat a healthy lunch.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Zimmer's campaign does not have the money to send weekly mailers. It will be up to us to spread the word.
* Make a list of at least five people you'll forward posts like this to every time you read them.
*Volunteer for Steve's campaign.
* Friend Steve on Facebook.
* Plan a house party so your neighbors can meet Steve and his supporters.
* Donate to his campaign today.
We only have one month to re-elect the best school board member ever. What other ideas to you have to get the job done?