Environmental leaders that oversee many of the city’s coastal districts including the Ballona Wetlands, the Santa Monica Mountains and the Santa Monica Bay are endorsing Mike Bonin’s bid for the District 11 seat on the Los Angeles City Council.
Bill Rosendahl who will not seek a third term on the council, in order to focus on his fight against cancer, has personally endorsed Bonin.
Among the environmental leaders who are backing Bonin is Mark Gold, former executive director of Heal the Bay.
"Mike has a long history as an environmental leader in the critical 11th district with its unparalleled coastal waters and watersheds," said Gold, who currently serves as associate director of UCLA’s Institute of the Environment and Sustainability. "I strongly support Mike Bonin’s candidacy because he has the experience and record to help lead Los Angeles to a more sustainable future."
Mary Nichols, Chair of the California Air Resources Board endorsed Bonin, saying, “The world looks to California -- and especially Los Angeles -- for creative solutions to cutting pollution and building a clean energy economy. Mike Bonin is the kind of smart, effective leader we need to move from vision to action.”
Sherri Akers of the Mar Vista Green Committee noted, “The 11th District is home to some of the most important environmental treasures in Los Angeles -- the coast, the wetlands, and the Santa Monica Mountains. I'm supporting Mike Bonin because we need an experienced steward to protect and defend these resources. Through his work with Bill Rosendahl, I have seen that Mike has the knowledge and know-how and is the environmental champion that we need.”
David Pettit, Director of the Southern California Air Program for the Natural Resources Defense Council, praised Bonin’s leadership qualities, saying, "Los Angeles faces unique environmental challenges, but also has incredible environmental opportunities. “We need a smart, focused leader like Mike Bonin to move us forward. Mike's track record shows that he can take up the fight for clean water, clean air, more open space, renewable energy, and alternative forms of transportation."
“I’m grateful for and energized by the support of so many of the crucial leaders in the effort to make Los Angeles green and sustainable,” Bonin said in an official statement. “Los Angeles can and must be a leader in nurturing the environment, protecting our natural resources, and creating green and clean jobs. As a councilmember representing the coastal district, I would lead and champion those efforts.”
Below is a full list of environmental leaders currently endorsing Bonin:
- Jonathan Parfrey - Director of Green L.A.*
- Mark Gold - Former Executive Director of Heal the Bay*
- Mary Nichols – Chair, California Air Resources Board*
- Cliff Gladstein – California League of Conservation Voters Education Fund*
- David Pettit – Director, Southern California Air Program, Natural Resources Defense Council*
- Evan Gillespie
- Sherri Akers – Mar Vista Green Committee*
- Glen Dake – Los Angeles Community Garden Council*
- Adi Liberman – Vice Chair, Los Angeles Prop O. Oversight Advisory Council*
- Jerilyn Lopez-Mendoza – Vice President, Los Angeles Board of Public Works*
- Jan Chatten-Brown – Environmental Lawyer
- Sandy Itkoff – Sustainable Business and Green Technologies Leader
- Marcus Castain – Founder and CEO of Generation Water*
- Fred Walti – Executive Director, Los Angeles Clean Tech Incubator*
- Mike Swords – Chairman, Clean Tech Los Angeles*
*Titles listed for identification purposes only, and do not imply or indicate organizational endorsements.