Editor’s note: This is one of several articles in a series of profiles on Mar Vista candidates that Patch will be running leading up to the election.
What would you prioritize if you were voted in?
My priorities if elected are:
1. I will work to close the Santa Monica Airport in 2015 when the lease is due up, and also stop the open door policy regarding jet increase and traffic.
2. I will work with the Los Angles Department of Transportation to control and mitigate cut thru traffic in Mar Visa and to get Google and Yahoo maps to change their GPS for this area. This was done near the Hollywood Sign from the concerned residents living near by. It seems like a great idea for our area.
3. I will work to keep Mar Vista Green and eco friendly and encourage more bike paths and drought free native gardens.
4. I will work to keep our “Neighborhood Watch” active and listen to my neighbors concerns.
5. I will work to keep LADOT accountable to keep our streets and traffic signs in good shape-fix pot holes- stop overweight trucks from the breaking the law ,and for LADOT to regularly attend our traffic meetings.
Who are your primary supporters?
1. Residents living in Mar Vista who are sick of the Santa Monica Airport abuse. And the group CRAAP (Concerned Residents Against Airport Pollution).
2. Neighbors concerned with traffic mitigation and crime.
What issue do you feel most strongly about and what’s your position?
I feel strongly about closing the Santa Monica Airport. It is a huge polluter and has made living in Mar Vista a nightmare. The toxic cancer particles, the loud late night take-offs, the huge and dangerous jets (on a too short runway), the increase in flight schools-not being able to hold a conversation in ones home or enjoy our backyards.
There are so many problems. The flight pattern has now changed to fly south over the Mar Vista/Venice residents and not over Santa Monica? All of these issues need to be addressed.
This airport affects many Los Angeles residents not just Santa Monica. Hopefully Los Angeles can have a voice in this fight and work with Santa Monica to stop the airport abuse and close it in 2015. I hope to work with Bill Rosendahl and Ted Lieu who are leading the fight.
What's one thing most constituents don't know about you?
I was a champion horseback rider.
Why did you decide to run?
I feel I can represent zone 6 and contribute to keeping our neighborhood a great place to live.
Valerie Davidson is running for zone 6 director, a two-year term. To read more candidate profiles, click here.