- The Neighborhood Youth Association is one of the nonprofit organizations participating in the Great Shake-Out Earthquake Drill exercise at 10:17 a.m. Thursday, according to online data. NYA is headquartered in Venice and operates the NYA Mar Vista Learning Center. Other Venice-based nonprofits getting in on the drill include P.S. ARTS and L.A. Theater Works.
- La Fortuna Market, 824 S. Lincoln Blvd., is the subject of a public hearing Thursday at 10:30 a.m.. Interested parties can provide comments as to whether or not the business is a public nuisance. An online document reports that the Los Angeles Police Department has responded to "calls of service" and made "arrest reports" with "allegations of drinking in public and multiple violations of existing operating conditions." The hearing will be held at the West Los Angeles Municipal Building, 1645 Corinth Ave., Los Angeles, 90025. Map here.
- The Ad Hoc Committee on Mass and Scale for the Venice Neighborhood Council is set to decide whether to study the proposed hotel project on Abbot Kinney Boulevard for mass/scale, according to the agenda. The meeting takes place Thursday from 7:30-9 p.m. at the Oakwood Recreation Center, 767 7th Ave.
- The Mar Vista Fall Festival takes place this Saturday at the Mar Vista Recreation Center, 11430 Woodbine St., from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. The theme for the Oct. 19 event will be “Celebrating the Arts." More details here.
- On Saturday, the Mar Vista Branch Library's Friends of the Library Book Sale will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 12006 Venice Blvd.